Retina is a delicate thin membrane like structure lining the inner posterior eyewall. It conforms the nearly spherical shape of the eye. Retina is like a film of a camera which receives images of outer world and sends to the brain through the thin optic nerve. So the retina is directly connected to brain.
VITREOUS:- The vitreous is composed of a gel that fills up the cavity bounded by Retina and Lens. The vitreous is the important intraocular tissue in pathogenesis of many retinal diseases.
RETHINOPATHY:- Retinopathy is a general term covering conditions which affect the Retina. The Retina often reveals the state of an individual's general health. The Retinal blood vessels are the only visible blood vessels in the body which can be seen with the help of ophthalmoscope. As a result of much research, many vitreo-retinal conditions can be diagnosed as well as treatable with the help of newer instrumentation.
CONDITIONS AFFECTING RETINA:-
(1) RETINAL DETACHMENT
(2) THE VASCULAR RETINOPATHIES
- Diabetic Retinopathy
- Hypertensive Retinopathy
- Retinopathy in toxemia of pregnancy
- Retinal vein occlusion
- Retinal artery occlusion
- Retinopathy in blood disorders like Anemia, Leukemia, Sickle cell disease
- Retinopathy of Prematurity
- Eale's disease
(3) INFLAMMATION OF THE RETINA: RETINITIS
- AIDS related Retinopathy
- Retinitis from bright light (Eclipse Blindness).
- Acute Retinal Necrosis (ARN) due to herpes virus
- Cytomegalo virus (CMV) Retinitis
(4) DEGENARATION & DYSTROPHIES OF RETINA
- Age Related Macular Degeneration. (ARMD).
- Myopic Maculopathy
- Retinitis Pigmentosa (NIGHT BLINDNESS)
- Drug induced Retinotoxicty
(5) Macular conditions
- Systoid macular oedema
- Central Serous Retinopathy. (CSR).
- Macular Hole
(6) INTRAOCULAR TUMOURS
- Melignant Melenoma.
- Metastasis of choroid from primary tumour elsewhere in body.
Our VitreoRetinal department is well equipped with :
+ Laser System (Class 4, Frequency-doubled Nd:YAG, Diode Green Laser}- with slit lamp mode and endolaser mode.
+ Fundus Camera-For Fundus Fluorescein Angiography (FFA).
+ Vitreous Microsurgery System.
+ Computerized Automated Visual Field Analyzer.
With the help of sophisticated setup, we have the opportunity to successfully treat various VitreoRetinal cases such as: Complicated Retinal Detachments,Vitreous Hemorrhage, Diabetic Retinopathy, Macular Hole, Macular Degeneration, IOFB, Endophthalmilitis, Ocular Inflammation, ROP, Posterior Segment Complications of Cataract Surgery like Drop Nucleus etc. at affordable rates. Our full time Retinal Surgeon, Dr. Shiv Malli is looking after our retina department.